What's new

So the 5000 dollar sells on eBay. 5000 bucks! Really.

As predicted, the Toggle will increase in value...... 5000 bucks on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Gillet...Yg7dfGePcvj0rkXngb2rw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

$Capture.jpg

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
And they paid right away too... I was expecting $2000ish before fees if someone made an offer I'd bite on... There you go... There are a few members on here that could probably retire to Monaco and race speedboats off of their epic collections if that was not a silly fluke... Only other thing I'd say is if you ever list anything up there high-end, get ready for some really screwed up human beings messaging you for no reason. I never had to put a warning in an auction like a school headmaster before two days ago...

I was surprise when I checked on that auction today and it actually sold.
It is a rarer Toggle but even so at 5K someone has a pretty decent disposable income. I wish I had that type of money to toss around but I'm not even close.

And they paid right away too... I was expecting $2000ish before fees if someone made an offer I'd bite on... There you go... There are a few members on here that could probably retire to Monaco and race speedboats off of their epic collections if that was not a silly fluke... Only other thing I'd say is if you ever list anything up there high-end, get ready for some really screwed up human beings messaging you for no reason. I never had to put a warning in an auction like a school headmaster before two days ago...

Yes, collectors like Ervargas, Mr Razor, Mark1966, TheKinge, Macdaddy... can u imagine if they sell their razors? They can probably buy a 2nd car with the money made.

:a47:WOW!!! And I thought a $250 fatboy was stupid expensive. Yes it looks like a NOS 5 number toggle...but still...

I was surprise when I checked on that auction today and it actually sold.
It is a rarer Toggle but even so at 5K someone has a pretty decent disposable income. I wish I had that type of money to toss around but I'm not even close.

That is good price. I been tracking this Gillette model and in 2 years most of these scarce models will reach 7 to 10 thousand....
Many members here have been arguing with me against this point, they think is a temporary thing, I think not.

It's very surprising to me... I figured it was going to run its course and get put away for a year or two. I agree with Alex that most are long holds.. I thought the current price ceiling grand slam offer given what other models top out at was a bit over half that price and that bin would just enable me to avoid people with sketchy feedback, but there you go.... I think I can afford some new horn scales for my old/new 10/8 Sheffield wedge now...

Last edited:
The things in my opinion to buy now aren't toggles, its the really under-appreciated stuff like New Standards and French sets... Complete Cavalier sets.. I will scream from the hills about french razors and their greatness the way he screams about toggles till I am out of breath... It will be interesting to see if this draws any amazing stuff that has been hoarded out of the woodwork. If the owner of that techmatic de set ever put it out there, that is the one that would probably put up the all time insane number for any vintage gillette far and away...

Last edited:
That is good price. I been tracking this Gillette model and in 2 years most of these scarce models will reach 7 to 10 thousand....
Many members here have been arguing with me against this point, they think is a temporary thing, I think not.

I agree that I think the really rare razor models are going to keep going up in price as collectors buy up what limited supply there is and new collectors join in.

I think to be a collector you either have to get in the game early like 10 or so years ago, get lucky at flea markets or have big money and not be afraid to use it.

It's been said before that everyone has different incomes and $50 for me is likely $5K for some or even $50K.
Being in my mid 30's with a newborn I'm still not at the point that $500 on a razor wouldn't hurt for a couple months and $5K is just enough for my wife to think about divorcing me lol.

Very cool, congratulations! Sorry to hear about the insane messages you received.

That is great for the seller. When I search for sold in auctions I cannot locate it on the fleabay? I do see the link here takes me to the listing. I have to say sweet sale for the owner of that beautiful razor.

Last edited:
Two were snarky, two were really bad, one was pointless. I'm guessing these are the same people who try to trick guys into thinking their stuff is fake or worthless. Bad apples...

That is great for the seller. When I search for sold in auctions I cannot locate it on the fleabay? I do see the link here takes me to the listing.

Strange... It should only be invisible if you log in through a foreign ebay as I don't do international anything through the bay because it is a mess.

I still find myself buying new ones all the time... What ebay giveth, the wild, ebay, and estate sales taketh away....

Two were snarky, two were really bad, one was pointless. I'm guessing these are the same people who try to trick guys into thinking their stuff is fake or worthless. Bad apples...

Congratulations on the sale--seems like I do remember those being much cheaper years ago. I once sold a D-1 Fatboy on ebay and got all kinds of weird emails during the auction. Don't know what it is about valuable razors that brings out the loonies. On the flip side, I did send an email to a seller yesterday suggesting that if they didn't get a hit on their BIN that they should take whatever decent Best Offer price that they received. They were just antique dealers and had a nice razor offered, but it used proprietary blades and they were asking about 4x what that razor usually goes for. Maybe they thought I was a nut too...

Last edited:
Top Bottom